A national identity card is all that is required to travel from one European Union country to another. No passport or visa is necessary. But citizens of all non-EU countries must have a passport with the appropriate visa when required, unless an agreement has been signed between Belgium and this country.
All foreign nationals staying at least three months in Belgium have to report to the local town hall upon arrival.
In Liège the address of the town hall is
Service de la Population
"Accueil des étrangers" (Registration office for foreigners)
Tel: 04 / 221 82 51
The office is open from Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. till 12 a.m.
The following documents will be required:
For students from EU or EEE countries
- the E128 form from your health insurance company, or evidence that you belong to one
- a valid passport or identity card
- a statement from the University of Liège (provided by Marta Kucharska)
- 7 recent photographs (without headscarf, size of the identity photograph, about 5/3 cm)
- 11 € (check the fee on the day your register)
- a statement from your landlord or land lady, or a copy of the rent contract
For other students
- same documents
- an A.S.P. (temporary residence permit). Non-EU students can apply for this permit at the Embassy or Consulate in their home country. They will have to provide any documents required by the local Embassy or Consulate.