A proposal is under review for a new IGCP project. Information and a new website will follow in the project is accetpted.
Proposed project :
Reading geologic time in Paleozoic sedimentary rocks: the need for an integrated stratigraphy.
Major events punctuated the Paleozoic: ecological crises and diversifications, shifts in ocean chemistry, climatic changes, etc. One of the key-obstacles in understanding these events lays in the difficulty of providing precise estimates of the duration represented by a sequence of Paleozoic sedimentary rocks. This lack of temporal precision severely hampers the evaluation of forcing mechanisms and rates of climatic, ecological or biogeochemical changes in the Paleozoic. It is therefore essential to first improve the Paleozoic timescale to then unravel the history of the Paleozoic Earth system.
Cyclostratigraphy is a powerful chronometer, based on the detection of the Milankovitch cycles in the sedimentary record. Those cycles result from periodic variations in the Earth-Sun system, affecting the distribution of solar energy over the Planet influencing Earth’s climate on time scales between 104 and 106 years. Through the integration of this astronomical time scale with biostratigraphy and radio-isotopic dating, this project intends to document the environmental evolution during the Paleozoic with a focus on the Ordovician to Devonian (485 – 359 million years). It gathers participants (> 200) from all over the world (36 countries) and promotes the participation of young scientists and scientists from developing countries.
Workplan and meetings
- Special session at European Geophysical Union 2017 meeting (Vienna, Austria, De Vleeschouwer will apply for a session)
- Special session at the International Meeting in Sedimentology (10-12 October 2017, Toulouse, France, by M. Sinnessael, E. Nardin and A.C. Da Silva will apply for a session)
- Participation to the 4th International Conodont meeting in Valencia, together with the SDS and ISSS reunion (Valencia, Spain, 25-30 June 2017).
- Annual project conference to be held in Germany organized by D. De Vleeschouwer, P. Königshof and other leaders
- Summer school (3 days long, Bremen, Germany) that focuses on the analysis of combined paleoclimatic time series and facies development. The aim of the summer school is to give provide scientists with the tools and skills to answer questions like: “Is my dataset suitable for time-series analysis?”, “Which technique for time-series analysis is most appropriate given the characteristics of my dataset, considering for example hiatuses or strong variations in sedimentary rate?”, “How do I generate and interpret a power spectrum or a wavelet transform, and what are their merits and pitfalls?”. During the summer school, we will familiarize the participants with the free R-package “astrochron”. Why it is essential to understand and interpret facies analysis? This summer school will target early career researchers (PhD students and early postdocs), but will be open to senior scientists with an interest in these questions. Organized by D. De Vleeschouwer, P. Königshof and other leaders.
- Field workshop (2 to 3 days long, Germany) - 2-3 reference sections, with detailed biostratigraphy. Possible sections include the Effenberg Quarry (mainly cyclic Famennian strata) in the Rhenish Massive. A visit to the world-famous type locality for the Frasnian – Famennian boundary, the Kellwasser section (Harz Mountains) is also planned.
- Annual Project conference to be held in New York state, U.S.A., by Jeff Over from State University of New York, in conjunction with the Subcommission of Devonian stratigraphy meeting.
- Field workshop on the Devonian of Pennsylvania and New York state associated with the annual project conference
- Special session and participation to the IGCP-653 meeting in Novosibirsk, Russia, July 12-19. Main Annual Meeting of IGCP 653. Meeting jointly held with the 13th International Symposium on the Ordovician System (ISOS). Indoor sessions and field excursions to the Lower Paleozoic sections of the Altai Mountains, and northern (Arctic) Siberia.
- Annual project conference to be held in Brazil (Rio de Janeiro), organized by D. Franco and other colleagues with the other leaders.
- Field excursions (Paleozoic successions from Itararé Group, Paraná Basin, southeastern Brazil).
- Special Session at International Geological Congress in India 2020
- Annual project conference – Closing meeting to be held in China (Lanzhou), organized by Shuang Dai (Lanzhou University), Rongxi Li (Chang’an University), Weiguo Wang (Third Institute of Oceanography State Oceanic Administration, China) and A.C. Da Silva (Liege and Utrecht University)
- Field workshop on the Ordovician strata in Ordos, China and on the Cat Ba section in Vietnam associated with the annual project conference
NEW : PICTURES AND SOUVENIR FROM IGCP-580 ACTIVITIES SINCE THE BEGINNING IN THIS PRESENTATION
All the material related to IGCP-580 activities are now available on the same page, under the heading project documentation. It includes a list of the papers published in relation to IGCP-580, all the abstract books and field trip guide books, all the annual reports and all the trainings.
Information about the next meeting is already available.
Pictures of IGCP-580/596 meeting in Mongolia, available there
- Carmichael, S. K., Waters, J. A., Suttner, T. J., Kido, E. & Dereuil, A. A. (2014). A new model for the Kellwasser Anoxia Events (Late Devonian): Shallow water anoxia in an open oceanic setting in the Central Asian Orogenic Belt. - Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 399: 394-403, doi:10.1016/j.palaeo.2014.02.016
- Da Silva, A.C., Kershaw, S., Boulvain, F., Hubert, B.L.M., Mistiaen, B., Reynolds, A., Reitner, J. (2014a), First record of demosponge-type spicules in a Devonian basal skeleton stromatoporoid (Frasnian, Belgium). Lethaia, 47, 365-375.
- Da Silva, A.C., Whalen, M.T., Hladil, J., Koptikova, L., Chen, D., Boulvain, F., Spassov, S., Devleeschouwer, X. (2014b) Application of magnetic susceptibility as a paleoclimatic proxy on Paleozoic sedimentary rocks and characterization of the magnetic signal – IGCP-580 projects and events. Episodes, 37/2, p 87-95
- De Vleeschouwer D., Crucifix, M., Bounceur, N., Claeys, P. (2014) The impact of astronomical forcing on the Late Devonian greenhouse climate. Global and Planetary Change 120: 65-85
- De Vleeschouwer D., Parnell, A. (2014). Reducing time scale uncertainty for the Devonian by integrating astrochronology and Bayesian statistics. Geology 42: 491-494.
- Grabowski, Krzeminski, Schnyder, Sobien, Hejnar, Koptiková, Pszczółkowski, Schnabl (2014) Integrated Magnetic Susceptibility and Geochemical Record of d13C Anomalies in the Berriasian and Valanginian Sections from the Tethyan Domain (Western Carpathians, Poland). Rocha et al. STRATI2013, Springer Geology DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-04364-7_159. 847-851
- Kido, E., Waters, J.A., Ariunchimeg, Y., Gonchigdori, S., Da Silva, A.C., Whalen, M.T., Suttner, T.J., Königshof, P. (Eds, 2014) IGCP-596 & IGCP 580 Join meeting and field-workshop. International Symposium in Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, 5-18th August 2014, Abstract Volume. Berichte des Institutes für Erdwissenschaften, Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz, Band 19; pp 65.
- Narkiewicz, M., Grabowski, J., Narkiewicz, K., Niedźwiedzki, G., Retallack, G.J., Szrek, P., De Vleeschouwer, D. (in press) Palaeonvironments of the Eifelian dolomites with earliest tetrapod trackways (Holy Cross Mountains, Poland). Paleo3, in press
- Kabanov, P.B., Alekseev, A.O., Zaitsev, T. (in press) The upper Viséan–Serpukhovian in the type area for the Serpukhovian Stage (Moscow Basin, Russia): Part 2. bulk geochemistry and magnetic susceptibility. Geological Journal, 2014, DOI: 10.1002/gj.2623
- Könighsof, P., Da Silva, A.C., Suttner, T., Kido, E., Waters, J., Carmichael, K., Jansen, U., Pas, D. Spassov, S., Joachimski, M. (in press) Shallow water facies setting around the Kačák Event – a multidisciplinary approach. In: Becker, R.T., Brett, C., Königshof, P. Devonian climate, sea-level and evolutionary events. Geol Soc. London (in press).
- Kumpan, T., Babek, O., Kalvoda, J., Matys Grygar, T., Frýda, J. (2014) Sea-level and environmental changes around the Devonian–Carboniferous boundary in the Namur–Dinant Basin (S Belgium, NE France): A multi-proxy stratigraphic analysis of carbonate ramp archives and its use in regional and interregional correlations. Sedimentary Geology, 311, 43-59.
- Matyja, H., Sobien, K., Marynowski, L., Stempien-Sałek, M. & Małkowski, K. 2014.The expression of the Hangenberg Event (latest Devonian) in a relatively shallow-marine succession (Pomeranian Basin, Poland): the results of a multi-proxy investigation. Geol. Mag.: doi:10.1017/S001675681400034X
- Pas D, Da Silva AC, Suttner T, Kido E, Pondrelli M, Corradini C, Bultynck P, De Vleeschouwer D, Dojen C, Boulvain F (2014): Insight into the development of a carbonate platform through a multi-disciplinary approach - A case study from the Upper Devonian slope deposits of Mount Freikofel (Carnic Alps, Austria/Italy). Int. Journ. Earth. Sc., 103, 519-538.
- Sardar Abadi, M., Da Silva, A.C., Amini, A., Boulvain, F., Sardar Abadi, M.H., Aliabadi, A.A. (2014) Tectonic-controlled sedimentation: impact on sediment supply and Basin evolution during the Middle Jurassic Kashafrud Formation, Kopeh Dagh Basin, North-East Iran. Int. J. of earth Sc. 103:2233–2254.
- Suttner, T. J., Kido, E., Chen, X.Q., Mawson, R., Waters, J. A., Frýda, J., Mathieson, D., Molloy, P. D., Pickett, J., Webster, G. D. & Frýdová, B. (2014). Stratigraphy and facies development of the marine Late Devonian near the Boulongour Reservoir, northwest Xinjiang, China. - Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 80: 101-118.
SPECIAL ISSUE OF THE GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF LONDON (FIRST PAPERS AVAILABLE THERE)
- Da Silva, AC., Whalen, M.T., Hladil, J., Koptikova, L., Chen, D., Spassov, S., Boulvain, F., Devleeschouwer, X. Special Issue Geological Society of London, 414. Magnetic susceptibility application – a window onto ancient environments and climatic variations, in press.
- Da Silva, AC., Whalen, M.T., Hladil, J., Koptikova, L., Chen, D., Spassov, S., Boulvain, F., Devleeschouwer, X. (submitted) Foreword: Magnetic susceptibility application – a window onto ancient environments and climatic variations.
PART I: Magnetic susceptibility variations in relation with sedimentological context
- Whalen, M.T., Sliwinski, M., Day, J.E., Chen, D., Da Silva, A.C. (in press) Palaeoceanographic Implications of Geochemical, Magnetic Susceptibility, and Carbon Isotopic Records across the Frasnian-Famennian boundary in western Canada and southern China.
- Pas, D., Da Silva, A.C., Labaye, C., Cornet, P., Michel, J., Devleeschouwer, X., De Vleeschouwer, D., Boulvain, F. (online first) Sedimentary development and magnetic susceptibility evolution of the Frasnian carbonate platform in Western Belgium (Dinant Synclinorium, La Thure section).
- Alekseev A.O., Kabanov P.B., Alekseeva T.V., Kalinin, P. (in press) Devonian and Carboniferous paleosols of central-southern East European Craton preserving pristine magnetic, mineralogical, and geochemical signatures.
- Dechamps, S., Boulvain, F., Da Silva, A.C. (in press) Magnetic susceptibility-facies relationship in Bajocian-Bathonian carbonates from the Azé caves, eastern Paris Basin, France.
- Jadot, H., Boulvain, F. (in press) Sedimentology and magnetic susceptibility of recent sediments from New Caledonia.
PART II: Origin and nature of the magnetic susceptibility signal
- Devleeschouwer, X., Riquier, L., Babek, O., Petitclerc, E. Sterckx, S., Spassov, S. (in press) Magnetization carriers of red deep-water limestones in the GSSP of the Givetian-Frasnian boundary (Puech de la Suque, France): a diagenetic overprinting signal.
- Chadimova, L. Vacek, F., Sobien, K. and Slavik, L. (Submitted) Petrophysical and sedimentological record of the Late Silurian Lau event in the shallow water carbonate facies (Prague Synform, Czech Republic).
- Sardar Abadi, A., Da Silva, A.C., Amini, A., Boulvain, F., Sardar Abadi, M.H., Aliabadi, A.A. (Submitted) Lower Carboniferous ramp sedimentation of the Central Alborz Basin, North Iran: integrated sedimentological and rock–magnetic studies.
- Blumentritt, D.J. (online first) A comparison of magnetic susceptibility measurement techniques and ferrimagnetic component analysis from recent sediments in Lake Pepin (USA).
PART III: magnetic susceptibility recording climatic changes and astronomical forcing
- Ellwood, B.B., El Hassani, A., Tomkin, J.H., Bultynck, P. (online first) A Climate-Driven Model And Development Of A Floating-Point Timescale For The Middle Devonian Eifelian Stage Using Time-Series Analysis Of Magnetic Susceptibility (c) Data Set.
- De Vleeschouwer D., Boulvain, F., Da Silva, A.C., Pas, D., Labaye, C., Claeys, P. (online first) astronomical interpretation of the magnetic signal signal of the Givetian sections in the Dinant Synclinorium (La Couvinoise, Monts de Baileux, Fromelennes-Flohimont and La Thure).
- Mayrhofer S., Lukeneder A. (in press) Susceptibility data from Upper Triassic beds in Turkey: implications on climatic changes.
- Dai, S., Huang, Y., Zhu, Q., Da Silva, A.C., Zhao, J., Liu, J., Kong, L., Zhang, M., Dongxing, P. (submitted) The Early Cretaceous Climate Change Recorded by the magnetic susceptibility signal and color - Liupanshan Group sediments, Central China.
- Grabowski J., Narkiewicz M., De Vleeschouwer D. (in press) Paleoenvironmental dynamics of the Zachelmie section (Eifelian, Holy Cross Mts., Poland): constraints from magnetic susceptibility, geochemistry and cyclostratigraphy.
TREATMENT OF DATA
iDTW - dynamic time wraping : An internet application with basic dynamic time wraping algorithm. See full details here
> Meeting in Ulaanbaator, Mongolia 2014
> Meeting in Calgary, Canada (27th Aug. - 4th Sept. 2013)
> Meeting in Austria, Graz (24-30 th June 2012)
> Special session in Brussels, Geologica Belgica international meeting (11-14 sept. 2012, Brussels, Belgium).
> Special session in Brisbane Australia, 34thIGC (July 2012).
- 2013 Final year of our project and final meeting:
If anyone is interested to organize this final meeting, please get in touch with me (email@example.com).
- For the end of our project, we would like to propose a thematic book (Special issue of the Geological society of London or …). If you are interested you can already keep some interesting data for this issue, 2013 is approaching very fast.
2011 Meeeting in Czech Republic:
- Pictures of the meeting are available at there (thanks to Pavel Lisy)
- Abstract books and field trip guide book of the third IGCP-580 meeting in Prague are available at this address: http://home.gli.cas.cz/hladil/KRS2011/
- Training lectures are available there, thanks to F. Hrouda and M. Chadima.
- Group picture from the Third IGCP-580 meeting in Prague (Czech Republic).
Group picture from the Second (2010) IGCP-580 meeting in Guilin (China). Further pictures on this page.
Group picture from the First IGCP-580 meeting in Liège (Belgium). Further pictures on this page.
- The special issue of Geologica Belgica related to the IGCP project is available there.