Research Associate at the Belgian Foundation for Scientific Research (FNRS).
Laboratory of oceanology - MARE center
Université de Liège Allée de la Chimie 3, Bât. B6c (2/21) 4000 Liège (Sart-Tilman) Belgique
Phone: +32 4 366 3354
Fax: +32 4 366 5147
• 1990-1995: MSc Physical Engineering, Liege University (Belgium)
• 1995-1999: Research fellow of the Belgian national Fund for Scientific Research at the Liege University, Thesis: "3D coupled hydrodynamical-ecosystem model of the Black Sea ".
• 1999-2002: Postdoctoral researcher, Belgian national Fund for Scientific Research, Liege University.
• 2002-2004: Marie Curie Post-doc at the Centre for Estuarine and Marine Ecology (NIOO-KNAW, The Netherlands)
• 2002 – present, Research Associate at the Belgian Foundation for Scientific Research (FNRS).
My research activities deal with the development of mathematical models of marine ecosystems and biogeochemical processes. These models are coupled with the physical environment and interact with the atmosphere and land. They have been developed for different types of ecosystems: pelagic/benthic, oligotrophic/eutrophicated, open/coastal. The coupled models are used to study the ecosystem functioning, to assess the influence of physical processes on the ecosystem dynamics, to estimate the exchange of biogeochemical components between the coast/shelf and offshore. I am also interested in the problem of reduction of the complexity of biogeochemical models. This problem has been investigated using statistical, aggregation and data assimilation techniques. Data assimilation (Kalman Filter) has also been used in order to improve model performances. The sites under study are: the Black Sea (eutrophicated environment), the Ligurian Sea and the Bay of Calvi (oligotrophic sites), mesocosms. More details can be found at (lien vers la page description du projet).